Thursday, May 13, 2010

Our Greatest Fear..

Few people in the world truly realize the greatness of their purpose. When they do, I believe, it is a glimpse inside of God's intentions. Knowing your talents and facing the truth of your purpose here on earth is profound.

Last weekend, I had a girlfriend visit who is always a motivator in my life. We talked about dreams, goals, love, and family. I've had several moments in my life when I've realized I was scared of my purpose - not knowing what it was or fear of not being able to fulfill it. Nights I laid awake wide-eyed silently conversing through prayer asking if was making the right decisions and taking the right paths to fulfill it.

Through those sleepless nights, being grateful for my blessings and moments looking within my soul I've realized my greatest fear is not that I am inadequate and can’t make a difference in the world, but instead - that I will falter in living out the greatness I know is within me....that I know is within in all of us.

I believe the truth of the words below, which were once used in a Nelson Mandella speech, should guide every individual. However, wouldn't you agree that most people live in fear of dying and having left no legacy, having had no purpose - serving no one and therefore they cripple their talents? Why do we all believe as children we can sing, but as adults quiet our voices only to the occasional shower or drunken karaoke? Do you make the excuse you've just become more intelligent as an adult to "know better" than to believe in yourself like you did when you were little? We often lose sight of our talents because we feel unworthy of showcasing them and begin creating excuses like; "I can't afford it", "I'm not good enough", "I wouldn't know where to start", "I'd give up what I've already worked so hard for", "I'm too old/young"...and the excuses go on.

Start small: Re-reading motivational books have inspired me to write deeper in this blog. Walking through a gift shop seeing local artists paintings motivated me to get out my art supplies and get creative. Hearing my girlfriend talk about a new show she’ll be in, reminded me how much I miss performing in theatre and improv comedy. Judging a local singing contest at Mickey's made me miss singing. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best there is at any of those above-mentioned talents, but they make me happy doing them. What creative outlet have you denied yourself out of fear or excuses? What do you need to rediscover?
Take the time to RE-realize your Talents...Your Purpose...the reason you get up every Monday morning. I hope this poem will inspire you as much as it did me, enjoy...

OUR GREATEST FEAR
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other
people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.
-Marianne Williamson

1 comment:

buster said...

Hey,
I hope things are going well in the dressing yourself department!)

I hope you did well!!
It was a real pleasure meeting you,
I had a blast, you are a delight.

This blog is the exact reason I tried out, I have felt lately that
I'm not living up to my full potential, I have no fear of it but
to find it and do it are another thing. If you are ever in need of
some fashion sence or a side kick look me up Todd@houseofdreams.com